Homemade Eggnog Recipe (The Skinny Version)
Eggnog is a must-have for any holiday party! And while the traditional eggnog you find in the store tastes delicious, it is also full of heavy cream and sugar. With a few simple healthy substitutions, you can still enjoy this holiday favorite without the guilt or upsetting your stomach.
Ready to see how it’s done?
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
1. Start by separating the eggs (you’ll only need the yolks) and beat them with sugar in a medium bowl.
2. Combine eggs, sugar, and milk in a saucepan and place on a burner over medium heat.
3. Bring to 160 F and whisk regularly. To tell when it’s ready, you should be able to coat the back of a metal spoon slightly with the mixture.
4. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes. Then mix in the spices and Vanilla Extract.
5. Chill in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
6. While in the refrigerator, it will continue to thicken so be sure to give it a good stir and garnish with nutmeg before serving.
IF YOU WANT TO MAKE ADULT EGGNOG
It’s simple. Once you remove the eggnog from the burner and give it 10 minutes to chill, add 1/2-cup of dark rum (along with the spices and Vanilla extract) before you throw it in the refrigerator.
And if you don’t want to make both a virgin and alcoholic version, you can follow the recipe above and just add a shot of rum to each glass for those looking for an extra kick!
Per serving: 325 calories, 13g fat, 28g carbohydrates, 10g protein, 26g sugar